Saturday, July 3, 2010

introductions

Hi to all the Bible in 90 Days Challenge participants who are linking up via Mom's Toolbox!

My introduction will be a bit unique, as I will be speaking for myself as well as my husband, who will be doing the challenge as well---albeit somewhat behind the scenes.

I am Stephanie, the writer/blogger/tweeter of the pair. I homeschool our 3 children, ages 4, 7, and almost 8. I like to cook but hate doing dishes. I like to travel but would gladly stay at home for days at a time without getting cabin fever. I *really* like to read but am still a little intimidated by trying to read the entire Bible in such a short time.

My other, better (of course) half is Ted. He has a career in the travel industry that requires him to have a very flexible schedule but thankfully still allows him to be home every night. He is interested in getting in shape and is currently working through Beachbody's Insanity program. He also likes baseball and is a diehard Yankees fan. He recently bought an old jet ski, so being out on the water is a hobby as well.

We attend a church that teaches through the Bible, book-by-book, so we are used to digging into the Word on a regular basis. Recently our pastor challenged the church to regularly set aside time for Bible reading/study and prayer. Ted and I were both convicted, knowing that many days we would go with little or no devotional time. When I heard about the Bible in 90 Days Challenge, I knew that I wanted to do it the next time around. I've never read the Bible straight through, which seemed odd to me considering every church I have attended since I was a child has had a strong Scriptural emphasis. Once I really felt God tugging me to do the challenge, I asked Ted if he wanted in. He agreed, so here we are!

For both of us, probably the biggest challenge of this Challenge (heh!) will be putting aside the time it takes to read every day. Our schedules are very fluid due to Ted's job, so our routines have to change frequently. I'm planning to read at night after the kids go to bed, and Ted is planning to read during the day as his schedule allows. He will be able to listen on his commute and read during down time at work. Overall, we will have to be willing, able, and prepared to change ours plans as needed while still allowing plenty of time to finish our reading. Thanks to our friends at Apple, we can make that a bit easier by keeping the Bible close at hand all the time on our iPhones.

We will also have to make sure that we make the Bible readings our priority, and let some of our other activities and habits slide a bit. Less Internet, Netflix, library books, washing dishes... Well, promise not to come inspect my sink, okay?

I'm very thankful for the accountability through Amy at Mom's Toolbox, the mentors who've previously done the Challenge, my ladies' quiet time email group, and my husband. I'm praying that God will protect this group during these 90 Days, and that He will soften our hearts, give us fresh insights, and let us hear Him as speaks to us through the Word.

Grace and peace,
Stephanie

5 comments:

  1. I am also taking part in this challenge and look forward to all the blessings it is going to bring!
    God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been reading some on my phone too!
    I am excited to read with you and your hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm reading with my hubby too...I blog but he doesn't, but now he wants to blog about it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm doing the challenge as well. I am looking forward to embarking on the challenge with all of these wonderful people who are also participating. Welcome to BlogLand :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am really happy to be doing this journey with you and your husband. I enjoyed your introduction, and I love your blog's background, my favorite colors.

    ReplyDelete