Monday, October 11, 2010

so now that I'm done

Yesterday I mentioned that I recently finished reading the entire Bible. During the 90 day challenge I became accustomed to reading long passages in one sitting. This type of reading plan was challenging, but at the same time it created this extreme hunger for the Word. During the challenge I was intrigued by and knew that I wanted to revisit several books in more depth, including Daniel and Romans.

God must have agreed that those books were good ones to come back to, as He put resources for both in my path during this time. I found a Kay Arthur inductive study workbook on Daniel at the library bookshop for super-cheap (just how I like it!). I snatched that little book up and am working through it for the next 13 weeks. It is a complete change-up from the Bible in 90 Days pace. I'm reading and re-reading one chapter for an entire week. I've been reading different versions and the study notes from our homeschool Bible (NLT Study Bible) and my hubby's two Bibles (ESV and NIV Archaological Study Bible). It's neat to take the time to compare the different translations and commentaries, take notes, and just dig in to scripture. I must admit, though, that the slower pace is difficult.

As for Romans--one of my favorite pastors, Bob Coy, from one of my favorite churches, Calvary Chapel Fort Lauderdale, has a podcast called The Active Word. I subscribe to the podcasts and listen to them when I go for walks or when I'm cleaning the house. Well, as God would have it, the subject for the past couple of months was going verse-by-verse through the book of Romans! I haven't devoted much time to walks or deep cleaning in the past week or so (bad, but true) but when I get back on the wagon I have some great teachings waiting for me.

I also just finished reading Crazy Love by Francis Chan. I read through it quickly for an overview and just to kind of fix my mindset. We are in the process of buying a house, and it's so easy to start thinking that we 'need' this or that for the new house. This book is a reminder to me to be careful about distinguishing between needs and desires and to focus on the eternal. Of course, there is so much more to Chan's message, but this is just one of the surface issues that came to me and spoke to me in the moment. A friend also read this; I'm totally hoping we can both re-read and maybe get some other friends to read it and have a little book club.

No comments:

Post a Comment